It feels like only yesterday the phrase “there’s an app for that!” This was being thrown into conversations left and right. Then an animated description of said app features was followed. It also said that life is better with the app. Fast forward to today and the novelty of mobile and web apps has worn off. Access to the internet reaches more and more people. The mentality has shifted to “you don’t have an app for that?”
A growing marketplace
When deciding a mobile app development project, the first variable to look is the size of the current market. Analyst prediction of the industry in the next five years is also important.
The demand for apps will continue to grow as the physical devices that power apps become more affordable. In 2017, there were 178.1 billion mobile app downloads — and it is predicted that by the end of 2022 that the number of mobile app downloads will have jumped to 258.2 billion. 1
When we get up into billions, it’s tempting to assume the opportunity is big. It doesn’t warrant further research. However, this would be a mistake. In your evaluation, it’s important to remember that a larger market does not equal larger profits.
Simply moving content onto a digital platform and expecting the same payoff is making a reckless gamble. You need to be certain that it will help you meet your business goals before developing a business app. It might be access to a bigger audience or the development of a new revenue stream. It can be also a way to add value to existing customer relationships.
For market Understanding, you need to incorporate industry data and trends that will impact your app. Keep reading for stats relevant to fantasy football software.
Fantasy football apps: market overview
In the U.S. and Canada, the end of summer means the beginning of the American football season. It now means fantasy football season. A math-based game based on the real-life production of NFL players. Using fantasy football software, a player pays to create their “perfect” imaginary team. It goes on to competes with other players teams throughout the season. The software compiles the numbers at the end of the season. The best fantasy football players win big prizes from the outcome of real-world games.
Just like American football, fantasy football is a U.S.-Canada phenomenon. It is classified as a game of skill (not a game of chance, which would fall under illegal gambling). The Fantasy Sports Trade Association estimates that the industry is worth more than $7 billion a year in the US and Canada alone. 2
There are two business models that fantasy football covers:
- Free leagues on sports websites like Yahoo Sports and ESPN.
- Paid leagues on fantasy football websites like DraftKings and FanDuel. Players that pay to play fantasy football enter to win huge payouts throughout the season. (DraftKings offers players the opportunity to win up to $1 billion amid the primary seven day stretch of matchups alone!)
Fantasy football software developers have played a big role. They help businesses to leverage technology to monetize and generate demand for this niche sport. Hence the need for a best fantasy football app comes as a no surprise as well.
Fantasy football software solutions as business models
Fees for participation: DraftKings + FanDuel
FanDuel and DraftKings are two of the largest names in the fantasy football business. They fund their platforms by charging players a participation fee. The participation fee allows players to win NFL-sized payouts and prizes. Fantasy football businesses that charge a fee for participation take a cut. After that, they allocate the remaining balance fund prizes and payouts. For reference, FanDuel takes approximately 10 percent of the fee. 10 percent might not seem like a lot. When you consider that the industry is estimated to generate $14.4 billion in annual entry fees alone by 2020. It’s easy to see why an entrepreneur would want to cash in on the fantasy football craze. Estimating these figures, a potential scope for revenue generation is quite evident for a market best fantasy football app.
Fantasy football website software makers had to allocate portions of that 10 percent “rake” fee on regulatory battles and lobbying. This is in addition to business expenses.
Charging users a fee to access a platform isn’t a new business model. But it does require one to understand the tradeoffs that come with “premium” plans. For example, Spotify and Hulu have premium plans where users pay a monthly fee to access everything on the platform. They are not served advertisements (a feature that is important to these customers). Serving ads when charging users a fee is a very fine line. It can easily be crossed if a company is in need of a new revenue stream. DraftKings and FanDuel learned this in 2016.
Around the same time that DraftKings and FanDuel opened their fantasy football websites up to nascent custom advertising (co-produced videos and tournament sponsorships), they also caught the attention of former New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman — so pushback from “premium” players who would begin seeing ads on the platform was limited. 3
Advertising: Yahoo! Sports, ESPN, and NFL.com
In contrast to fantasy football business models that derive revenue from player fees, there are others that are free. But they come with attached ads. Players on fantasy football websites, like Yahoo Sports, ESPN, and NFL.com, expect to see ads on these platforms because they are free to use. It’s the same mentality as to why people don’t mind seeing ads on Facebook and Google. If they aren’t paying for the product, they recognize that they are the product.
Advertising-based fantasy football websites are successful as a business model because they drive huge amounts of traffic. Whether its because they are the officially sanctioned association of the sport (NFL.com), are an iconic brand with multiple distribution channels (ESPN), or a 20-year-old sports website (Yahoo! Sports), these fantasy football websites have the added ability to cross-promote their other owned media assets (ensuring advertisers reach their goals and see a positive return on their investment).
Like many other advertising-based businesses, some fantasy football websites leverage their free content to upsell additional services. For example, CBS Sports users can pay a fee and upgrade. It gives the ability to customize choices and get access to more teams.
Just as the rules of every sport are different, each group of fantasy sports players will also unique. Before you embark on building fantasy football software, take the time to understand both the industry (and its regulations, if applicable), business model, and target audience. However, if you’ve checked off these boxes, keep reading for our guide on how to make a fantasy football website.
How to make a fantasy football website
Register a domain name for your site
When choosing a name for your fantasy football website, it should be concise, memorable, and related to football. You can check the availability of different domain names at online enlistment registrars (e.g.: GoDaddy or Google Domains). After you have picked the site’s name, purchase and register it.
Choose your business model and identify goals
There is no shortage of fantasy football sites — and each has its own business model and goals. Perhaps you want your fantasy football website to be a place where other players gather to share ideas and strategies. You plan to monetize it using Google AdSense. Or, you might want to include a fantasy football calculator on your website with your unique forecasting methodology.
Whatever your specific fantasy football website requirements are, be sure you develop your vision and define business goals before building. If you’re working with a website design and development company, understanding your business goals will be one of the first questions they ask you when starting the project.
Make your own fantasy football software open source
Pick a web host
There is no shortage of web hosts — and each caters to a particular type of website. A fantasy football site will require a web host that can support a large influx of traffic and regular content updates. Users of fantasy football sites refresh their programs consistently and visit the site every day: make sure the web host you choose has a good customer service reputation should any issues emerge.
Upload your website code to the web host
Every website host provides clients with simple directions on how to transfer their website files. And, before you launch your dream football site, ask your family/friends to test it out for you. Glitches in the code can mean the difference between a visitor converting or bouncing away to a competitor fantasy football website.
Search Optimization should be present for marketing your fantasy football website. If you are working with a reputable website developer, they will properly setup your on-page foundation. Take advantage of social media websites like Facebook and Twitter. Or send out an email blast inviting other fantasy football players to check out your new website.
How to make a fantasy football app
As smartphones continue their market penetration — and technology becomes more affordable to the masses), businesses have shifted their digital strategy to meet consumers on their preferred device: mobile. And the fantasy sports / legal gambling industry isn’t leaving any money on the table when it comes to capturing players on mobile devices.
The millennial age of fantasy sports players is convincing business visionaries to make Fantasy Sports Mobile Design before web applications. Studies a year ago demonstrated that individuals are investing 88% of their smartphone time utilizing applications. What’s more, in the world of fantasy sports, the next-gen mobile is inclined to download a games application basically in light of the fact that is the standard with or without related knowledge of playing fantasy sports. This has suddenly opened the fantasy sports market to a larger user base that is holding up to get the thrill from playing some sort of games on the mobile application.
The number of mobile apps downloads worldwide starting in 2016 is 102,062 Million and specialists trust it has quite recently begun. That is on the grounds that mobile phones are currently turning into a standard with an expanding number of individuals changing to mobile phones because of affordability and simple accessibility. The Mobility Report by Ericsson is stating that by 2020, comprehensively there will be 6.1 billion mobile phone users drove by a huge development in less mature markets. This has opened up huge prospects for mobile application development segment.
Develop a fantasy football app idea
Now, when you want to develop a fantasy football app for Android, you must follow these criteria to flourish in the market.
- Registration/Log-in: User can register and sign in to the application utilizing the username, email ID, contact number, password and say referral code (if given by friends).
- Home Screen: This is the primary/default screen that the client will arrive on in the wake of signing in to the application. It displays the whole match moistening. A user can channel a hunt by Match Category (Upcoming match, Ongoing/Live match, Results) and Matches, Sports Type (Cricket, NBA, and Football). Match posting incorporates, Tournament Name, Team 1 (Name with Image), Team 2 (Name with Image) and Match Timing (Date and Time). The client chooses the coveted match from the posting. Then he or she is diverted to the contest screen.
- Challenge: At this area user can see the whole challenge postings for the particular match with subtle elements like, Filter Contest By: Entry Fee Range, Contest Type, Winning Range, Contest Size; at that point on Contest Listing incorporates: Contest Name, Contest Type, Entry Fee, Total winning measure of the challenge, Winners Count (here client can see the triumphant criteria as indicated by their rank), Total Team Count (group that can join). A client can choose their desired challenge and join.
- Join Contest: Under this segment, the client will require to pay the particular section expenses and join the contest.
- Payment Mode: Online payment modes are given such a, Paytm Wallet, Credit/Debit Card, Application wallet, Referral money extra focuses.
- Make your own content: With a single tap, the client will have the capacity to make their own particular challenge by presenting the accompanying subtle element, for example, Contest Name, Total Winning Amount (Min and Max), Allow various group (yes/no), Contest Size (Min 2 and Max 100), Entry expenses (Entry charge is computed based on adding up to value sum and challenge estimate is chosen), Join Contest, here challenge maker need to join the challenge in the first place, before making), Invite their friends to join the contest.
- My Contest: Under this section client will ready to see the rundown of joined hopefuls. Here she can see and Edit their picked cooperative people and channel look by Match writes (Upcoming, Live, and Results)
- My Profile (Dashboard): Under this section client will ready to see and refresh their profile points of interest. This area will likewise include: Your reward focuses, Account reward elements, (for example, Total adjust, User winning sum, User money reward (By referral), View exchange, Manage payment, Add Cash, Withdraw winning sum (Add your financial balance or include your skillet card detail*), Rankin (Overall positioning), My companions, Invite and win (Explained underneath), Logout. (Note: Admin will check the record detail and refresh user accordingly)
- Settings (More): Under this section, the client can see other required highlights of the application, for example.
- Invite & Earn: Under this segment client will share the application URL to their companions with application interface and their referral code. On joining the challenge with referral code shared by the client, he/she will get a reward sum for the same. Also, a user will get rewarded with some money reward into their application wallet at whatever point their referred companions join any contest. (Note: Reward focuses and money reward will be overseen by the owner of the framework.)
- CMS section: This area will incorporate, About us, Contact Us, Help, Point System.
- Live Match Score: User will have the capacity to observe live scores for a variety of matches and games, aside from diversion features, master analysis, and unique video programs.
- Live Score API Integration: To develop a fantasy football app for iPhone API gives simple to utilize, instant information for the designers that can be effortlessly integrated into their platforms.
- CRM integration: The application is coordinated with back-end specialist organization. It aides in managing tickets, client area, send sends, push notification and prove helpful in numerous different ways.
- Push Notification: Alerts and messages are sent to the clients to advise them when it’s a great opportunity to make a group when the match will start, and so on.
- Real-time Analytics: This technology turns out to be basic in applications like these when the information should be taught progressively. When you develop a fantasy football app in the android studio, the information is continually put away and refreshed progressively.
- GPS Location Tracking: This component is viable in sending cautions and pop-up messages to the application clients about the up and coming or progressing groups and matches close-by their location.
- Custom Mail Reminder System: To develop a fantasy football app for apple custom mails plays an important part. Participants receive custom emails about upcoming matches. The data is identified with their picked players or group.
- Payment System: There are different payment modes. Clients can easily make payment utilizing a Debit/Credit card, e-wallet, and net banking.
List of Fantasy Foolball Apps:
Yahoo Fantasy Sports is an all-rounder in the fantasy sports segment which includes Football, Basketball, Hockey and many more. Fantasy Trade Association has voted it the “Best Fantasy Sports Mobile App” for five years consecutively.
• One of the most attractive features of this application is the convenient roster management facility. Users can choose players and perform trade hassle-free. It supports team drafting over the mobile. Hence, it presents comprehensive support.
• The application provides quick updates to its users. It can be score update or news related to the players.
• There is insightful analysis from Yahoo Fantasy and Rotoworld experts. It is available through the application itself.
• Users can switch between the season-long and every day teams. It also allows communication between users through Fantasy Messenger. Therefore, the application is a complete platform and user-centric in nature.
Another prominent name in the list of “Best Fantasy Football App” is ESPN Fantasy Sports. This fantasy sports app is available for a number of games such as Basketball, Hockey, and Football etc.
• Users get a lot of options in this application. There is a choice to play with friends or join a preexisting league for competition against other users. There are two types of plays. There is a standard game. Additionally, users can customize the rules as per requirement.
• They can easily signup and draft their very own fantasy team. There is an option to add players and edit the teams. In addition to that, users can also trade.
• The application provides regular analysis with respect to rankings and projections from renowned experts.
• It provides live matchup updates and scoring to the users. They can predict the winners from popular matchups every day and win cash prizes and other additional benefits.
Unified Infotech, a popular web, and mobile application development company has been actively involved in this segment. We are the app developers in NYC who have curated some new and thrilling fantasy football games that are unique and would surely distinguish your fantasy football start-up from others.