The traditional way of learning in this tech-savvy era is too old now. Time to adopt the futuristic technologies and craft an advanced learning and training program. It can be for educational institutes, training centers, government or non-government organizations, or anything else.
Today, almost every industry-specific business is leveraging the power of the latest technologies. And the education industry is no exception to that.
So, planning to create a new-age learning management system? We’ve got your back.
With years of experience and sheer technical expertise, our team delivers market-best solutions for smart LMS development. Here, I’ve come up with a complete guide on learning management system development.
A Step-by-Step Learning Management System Development Guide
1. Is Investing in LMS Development Worth Your Money? – Validate Your Idea
Wondering what is a LMS website? A smart learning management system makes the onerous administrative tasks smoother. Such a system makes tracking and reporting easier than ever for businesses. Also, delivering lessons and courses and conducting tests become significantly easier.
Now, if your plan is to create an LMS website, great! You’ve taken the right decision. However, before investing, it is essential to validate your idea.
It will help you to understand whether the idea is a profitable one or not. You will get a detailed idea of the LMS and eLearning marketplace scenario. Also, you’ll get a deeper insight into who needs an LMS, your target audience.
So, Let’s See What The Numbers Are Saying!
The eLearning industry is constantly growing.
- According to the MarketsandMarkets report, this industry has experienced a steady growth of 5% over the last 3 years. This report mentioned that by 2021, the global market of this industry would increase to almost $15.72 billion. By 2023, the global market value of it would reach almost $22.4 billion.
- Docebo report has predicted that in 2020, the mobile learning market will grow over $38 billion.
- Zion Market Research came up with another report based on a 5-year forecast. It highlighted that the LMS market is all set to grow around 19.05 billion with 24% CAGR by 2022.
A Glimpse of LMS Adoption and Use Statistics
So far, you got to know about the market opportunities before you create LMS website. Now, time to look at the LMS adoption and use stats. Also, it will give you an idea of who needs a learning management system development.
- The image above is already highlighting what SmallBizTrends has stated in its report.
- Tech Pro Research report says that 74% of employees of the businesses that are already using LMS systems, enjoy the benefits of the BYOD policy. It enables them to learn from their own devices in their comfort zone.
- According to a report by Forbes, in 2018, plenty of organizations invested a huge amount of money into learning and development. The main objective was to fill up the skill gaps along with reaching the full capacity.
- Learning House and Aslanian Market Research report highlighted another interesting fact. It stated that almost 60% of college students choose online learning over on-ground learning.
No wonder why investing in the LMS website design and development is so popular these days. Want to know in detail about how to build a learning management system? Read on.
2. Start with Creating An LMS Project Plan – First Answer to How to Build a Learning Management System
“A goal without a plan is just a wish.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Once you are all done validating your idea, time to concentrate on the next step. What makes a good learning management system is a well-sorted project plan. If you dive in without formulating a solid plan, you may fall in a pitfall.
Now, what should be included in your project plan? Well, first, you have to define your objectives.
- Why do you need to create LMS website?
- What problems currently your organization is facing and how this LMS will solve it?
- Who will build the LMS from scratch?
- Who will take care of the LMS implementation?
- How much you are ready to invest in the learning management system development?
To start with the planning, you can ask these above-mentioned questions to yourself. Obviously, there are more. To give you a basic idea about this phase, I just mentioned these few ones.
3. What Are The Must-Include Features While You Create LMS Website?
You are now all set with your project plan and strategy. Now, you have to make a detailed list of the features and functionalities you want when you create LMS website. Obviously, the feature list should include everything that is needed to solve the ongoing organizational problems you are facing. Still, here are some key features that an LMS should have.
A. Course Builder
Keeping the main objective in mind i.e. giving proper training to the employees, this feature is a must-include. With it, you can create all the necessary courses. Be it any topic-specific course, or quiz – you can create using this feature.
B. Certification or Skills Tracking
You want to train your employees, great! But, how to measure their performance improvement? Unless you can see the progress, how will you know whether the courses are helping at all or not? This is why you need a tracking feature in your LMS.
C. Asynchronous Learning
This feature will allow the learners to learn at their own pace. See, giving training to your employees is not the same thing as teaching students at an elementary school. So, attending fixed-time lectures or classes is not very feasible for the employees. This feature makes sure that the learners can gather all the study materials and complete the course at their own pace.
D. Mobile Learning
This feature is closely related to the LMS website design phase. I’m going to talk in detail about it later. For now, just keep in mind that learners should be able to take the courses from their preferable devices. And featuring mobile capabilities is a must here. This feature is helpful when someone decides to take a course on an off-day. Also, it is effective for distributed teams.
E. Video Conferencing
Sometimes just study materials are not enough. Maybe an employee or a student needs to have a one-on-one interaction with the instructor. Yes, emails and messaging boards will definitely be there. Still, the video conferencing feature is a must-include in your smart learning management system development. Sometimes face-to-face interaction is better for easy understandings.
Theoretically, learning for the sake of learning sounds like a great idea! But practically, it is kinda boring. To make the learning process more interesting, your LMS should include gamification.
Obviously, the subject matter of the course won’t become easier with it. But the learning process will become easier. Gamification will keep the learners engaged. Also, it will make sure they can cover the modules faster along with increasing compliance.
G. Social Learning
Giving a community experience to the learners will enhance the overall learning process. With this feature, learners can communicate with each other over any topic or confusion.
Suppose A has a question in mind and he can post it in the forum. Now, M knows the answer and can tell him how to overcome the issue. Thus, the pressure on the trainer is reduced a bit. Now, others can take part in the discussion as well.
Various studies have shown that social learning is a very effective way to learn something new. So, you should include this feature when you create LMS website.
H. Subscriptions and eCommerce in LMS
eCommerce in LMS? Yes, it is possible. If you want to publish your study materials to a broader audience, this feature is a must-have. This is a popular monetizing method with your learning management system.
So, these were some of the basic features to include in your smart LMS. You can think of more interesting additional features too. Simply ask your learning management system development partner to custom build it.
4. Choose Your Service Provider For Learning Management System Development
Now that you are all set with the feature list, time to go forward with the next step. You need to hire the right LMS development partner that will turn your idea into a reality.
There are a few things to consider before you finalize the deal with a software development company.
A. Experience and Expertise
Look for such a development partner that has prior experience of working in the same domain as yours. Check their portfolios to get a detailed insight into their expertise.
Before finalizing any deal, make sure to talk about the pricing structure. If you and your development partner do not be on the same page regarding pricing, complications may arise later. This is why clearly state your requirements. And gather price quotes from different firms.
C. Post-deployment Maintenance and Support
It is important to know whether the firm you are hiring provides post-deployment maintenance and support services or not. It will help you to make the perfect budget.
To ensure rapid project development, having transparent communication with the team is crucial. Make sure the team you hire is available to you in the time of your need. Also, you can stay up-to-date with the development progress by establishing clear communication with the team.
Also, you should be clear about the development process and the tech stack your team is going to use. You can ask about the source code ownership as well.
Thus, you can hire the right team for your learning management system development.
5. Choose Your Project Development Techstack
This is the most important step i.e. choosing the appropriate tech stack for your project development. To build a learning and development management system, you will need
- A reliable web server
- A strong database
- A great web development framework, etc.
Now, for each section, you have plenty of choices available in the market.
At Unified Infotech, we house experts on different technologies. Laravel, Ruby, Python, PHP, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Drupal, WordPress, AngularJS, ReactJS, HTML, and CSS – just name the technology. Our experts will assist you to build the LMS from scratch with your preferred technology stack.
If you are not sure which tech stack will be the most-fitted choice for your project, don’t worry. Just state your requirements to our consultation team. And they will come up with the best suggestions that can make the development process easier and faster.
6. Smart Tips for Stellar LMS Website Design
This is an undeniable fact that LMS websites are taking over the traditional way of learning. Now, your objective is great. But if the LMS website design is not attractive enough, you can’t keep your learners engaged. So, you need to pay extra attention to the LMS website design phase.
- While designing an LMS website, keep in mind that the user accessibility should be high.
- Ensure the sign-in process is absolutely simple yet secure.
- Design an intuitive home screen. Also, it should reflect the information that a learner should start completing the courses.
- AI-enabled chatbots are trending these days. So, try integrating these advanced technologies into your LMS solutions. It will make the searching process easier for learners. Also, it can make better course suggestions to the users.
- This goes without any mention that you should design the content layouts and fonts in a user-friendly way.
- Make sure all the contents are translatable. It will ensure a higher user experience.
If you work with us, designing your LMS website will be a cakewalk. Our professional team of skilled designers will come up with the best instructional web design for your LMS.
7. Build the MVP for Your LMS Website
An MVP is the basic version of your entire LMS website. It contains only the core features and functionalities of the LMS. However, this MVP can solve users’ problems as well.
Full-fledged LMS development requires a massive investment of both time and money. On the other hand, the fully-functional MVP can be developed pretty fast with fewer resources.
Now, when you release this MVP in the market, you can check how your target market is accepting it. Depending on the feedback of your target market, you can chalk out your further plan to create LMS website.
If customers are embracing your MVP whole-heartedly, proceed with the full-fledged LMS development. And if it fails to create an impression as per your expectation, refurbish it. Thus, LMS website building cost management becomes smoother, right?
What if you develop the entire product and then your target market rejects it! That is any day more frustrating as it would be a complete waste of your time and money. Also, building an MVP allows you to test your business concept at an early stage. Moreover, product evaluation in an iterative way is possible with the MVP-first approach.
Once the MVP brings you the desired success, move forward with the full-fledged project development.
8. Test and Launch Your LMS Website
Now, an important point i.e. Testing! Be it the MVP or a full-fledged development, you always need to test the product thoroughly in every step. Undoubtedly, it will reduce the number of risks!
You can’t release a product with bugs and technical glitches, right? That is why you need to hire QA professionals. Before you launch your final product, this QA team will make sure your product is of top-notch quality.
If you work with us, our professionals will make sure of the following things.
- Scrutinizing every individual functionality, visuals including the texts.
- Maintaining a comprehensive QA checklist. It ensures all the design, content, assessment resources, functionalities, and compliances are in place.
- Checking and ensuring every browser, device, and platform compatibility of the LMS website.
- Performing regression testing after each sprint. It ensures the proper functioning of the previously approved sprints.
- Making sure concurrent user testing as well.
Once your LMS website is all tested, time to launch it!
Keep a mindset of improving continuously after launching your LMS site. You’ll get feedback from the users. Now, you need to gather it and analyze all the data. Accordingly, you can plan how to improve the LMS platform further.
9. How to Earn from Your LMS?
So far, you have got to know how to create an LMS. Now, I’m going to discuss how can you earn from it.
If you have built the LMS to use it internally within your organization, then fine. Maybe your objective was to train and improve your employees’ skill set. So, you might not be interested in making money.
However, If your objective is to make money out of it, here are the ways how you can do it.
A. Blog Monetization
“If you’re good at something never do it for free”!
So, if you want to share your knowledge and expertise through blogs, monetize it. You can create a worthy course. And then promote it in the blog that you’ve uploaded to the LMS.
B. Partner Certification
You can implement a paid certification program. Once users complete your course, you can provide professional certificates to them. Thus, the user can enhance his portfolio with your certificate. And in turn, you can make money out of it when you create LMS website.
C. LMS Reselling
This is another great way to make money out of your LMS. Suppose that your organization is a software solution provider. And you’ve built a course for research, training, and consulting services. It will enhance your employees’ skill set, fine. But you can become a reseller of this LMS as well.
Thus, you can enjoy a great ROI.
Wrapping Up The Process to Create LMS Website
The education industry is changing. It is getting out of its traditional cocoon and adopting futuristic technologies to become advanced.
Ready to embrace the next-generation learning solutions for your organization or business? Get in touch with a renowned web development firm. Consult the experts and make a solid plan for learning management system development.